Shares extensive knowledge of local natural history by leading small group wildlife tours aboard a zodiac expedition vessel. Assists captain in safe navigation of vessel by serving as vessel deckhand and lookout.
Duties and responsibilities
• Narrate tour and point out wildlife from marbled murrelets to humpback whales
• Give information on local human history, culture, and geography
• Identify intertidal organisms, birds, plants, trees, and marine mammals
• Operate hydrophone equipment
• In charge of guest experience and hospitality including drinks, snacks, etc.
• Serves as deckhand on tours and custom expeditions
• Assist captain in maintaining seaworthiness and cleanliness of vessel
• Prepare vessels for USCG inspections and maintain compliance with federal regulations
• Participate in daily crew meetings
• Extensive knowledge of subjects including geology, biology, ecology, and history.
• Ability to identify intertidal organisms, birds, kelps and seaweeds, and marine mammals.
• Must be flexible and able to craft the perfect tour for the day’s conditions, tides, and wildlife
• Experience and comfort public speaking
• Enjoyment of interacting with people and offering hospitality
• Comfortable using MS office platform
• CPR and First Aid
Must be able to operate in small, open, inflatable craft in inclement weather and conduct emergency drills including firefighting, flooding, abandon ship, and man overboard. Must be able to participate in USCG required drug testing program.